Prospectwire.com
Special Assignment Scout
Sully@prospectwire.com

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Top Prospect Interview: Shawon Dunston Jr.


Interview with AFLAC All-American Shawon Dunston Jr. Dunston really made an impression at the National Showcase at Tropicana Field, and is ranked in the top 50 in the nation.





Sullivan: Congrats on being ranked in the top 50 in the nation. Describe how that feels, and do you feel like you have extra pressure on you to perform when you are at the plate?


Dunston: It feels great and a honor to be considered as one of the best players in my class. Before this summer started I wasn't really known that well outside of California and I just wanted to get notice and I wanted to prove to people what I can do. yes theres extra pressure to perform at the plate not just because I am ranked this high, but also because I am a son of a former major leaguer and people expect more from me and people what to see something impressive.






Having a father who has been to the major leagues, how has that helped you so far in your baseball career?


My dad taught me everything I know with the game of baseball. My dad teaches me most about the mental aspects of the game and that its a grind. he doesn't really care about the results, but more about the little things.





Describe the feeling of being selected to the AFLAC All-American game in San Diego.


I was shocked and so happy when I got selected to the aflac game. I was in Florida for the perfect game national showcase when they told me. I was surprised I was chosen because I wasn't expecting to be named one. but its a honor and I'm blessed and I cant wait for the game.



Who is the best pitcher you have ever faced?


AJ Vanegas, a 7th round pick in this years draft and an aflac all american last year and also Jake Rodriguez a catcher who's going to Oregon State.




Describe the transition after facing the best pitchers in the country in the summer, then returning to high school ball.

The transition was really hard actually because when I came back from Florida to California to play with my high school team it was hard for me to play a game within myself because I knew these pitchers weren't as nearly good than the ones I was facing in Florida. Also when your facing the top pitchers your motivated and you compete to do well. So I had to realize I had to trick my mind and tell myself no matter whom I'm facing that its a challenge and I have to make it a challenge within myself.



Last question, favorite player and favorite team?


The San Francisco giants and my favorite player is BJ Upton and Dexter Fowler.

No comments:

Post a Comment