Prospectwire.com
Special Assignment Scout
Sully@prospectwire.com

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Top Prospect Q and A : Jameson Taillon



Interview with Top Prospect Jameson Taillon. Taillon is the #1 High School Prospect in the nation, according to Baseball America.

Jameson Taillon- RHP, Woodlands HS
Hey Jameson, congrats on signing with Rice. Was this the school you had hoped to attend from the start? Were there any other colleges that were in the mix?


I gave my verbal committment at the very end of my sophmore summer going into my Junior year. People ask if I regret committing so early, my answer is always the same "No Way, I have always wanted to go to Rice, so if they were ready to give their word, I was ready to give mine!". I have always had a twinkle in my eye for Rice. Rice University is 45 minutes from my house, they have a great baseball program with a winning tradition, first class coaches, facilities that are second to none, and incredible academics.. What else could anyone ask for! I got a lot of letters and invitations to attend practices and games from schools like Texas, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, and LSU. However, there was no doubt in my mind I wanted to be a Rice Owl.


As of right now, you are one of the top RHP prospects in the country. Describe how that feels, and how it has changed your life on a day to day basis.


It's a good feeling knowing that I had a great summer and put myself in position to possibly be a high draft pick. I accomplished all of my goals for the summer (Team USA, Aflac, and Under Armour). However, what matters is being a top RHP come draft day. I realize I have a target on my back and I work hard to try to separate myself from others. This fall I have gotten with Texas Sports Medicine and they have me on a great training program. They work with guys like Adam Dunn, Kyle Russell, Taylor Grote, Jorge Cantu, Chad Qualls, etc. It hasn't changed my life too much. However, I get magazines, baseball cards, and baseballs in the mail to sign which is pretty neat and rewarding!


If there was one thing that you would like to improve on from now until the draft in June, what would it be?


I am working extremely hard this fall on my physical condition, and when I pick up throwing again (I have taken a nice 6 week break from throwing since returning from Venezuela with Team USA) I will be refining my mechanics. However, this season I am really focused on just having the proper mindset. I am working on focusing on what I can control. On the mound there will always be adversity (crowds, umpires, weather, fields, opposing teams, etc.). I know this is a huge spring for me, but I want to work on just having fun playing with my teammates one last time. If I have fun and we focus on the team, then the draft and everything will fall into place.


Last question, what is your favorite team, and who is your favorite player?


Hmm tough question. Being from Houston I follow the Astros a lot. I really don't have one favorite team. I love the way the Angels play the game, I also admire the Red Sox tradition and approach towards the game. Favorite player is Josh Beckett by far. He pitched at Spring High School which is just about 10 miles down the highway. Our high school actually scrimmages Spring our first game every season! I really look up to the way he pitches. He has a fearless approach with dominating stuff. He embodies that big, hard-throwing Texan. We also garner a lot of comparisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment