Prospectwire.com
Special Assignment Scout
Sully@prospectwire.com

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Top Prospect Interview: Connor Castellano



Interview with top prospect Connor Castellano. Castellano is an infielder from Evangel Christian Academy in Louisiana.



Sullivan: Congrats on signing with Vanderbilt. What drew you to this school and what other schools were you considering?


Castellano: Vanderbilt is a special place. Besides the baseball and academics, Coach Corbin was the guy I wanted to play for. He reminded me of my high school coach Tim Hulett (ex MLB veteran). I had offers from Louisville, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Auburn, Wake Forest, Tulane, and ULL.





You are currently ranked in the top 100 in the nation. Describe how that feels, and do you feel like you have a target on your back when you step up to the plate because of it?


It is an honor to be ranked in the top 100. When you are in the top 100, you are there for a reason. There is no need to feel that way because you deserve to be there.




You were named to the Under Armour All-American Game. Did you ever imagine yourself playing on such a big stage such as Wrigley Field?


When I received an invite to this particular event, it was one of the happiest days of my life. Your whole life you work hard for moments like that. After the invitation, I really did believe in the phrase "Hard work pays off."





What is the transition like playing summer ball against the top players in the country, and then going back to high school pitching?


The transition is somewhat difficult because you can go from 95 mph to 75 mph. In Louisiana we face mid 80's most of the time, so it is not as difficult as some other states.




Who is the toughest pitcher you've ever faced?


Despite the fact that I got a hit off of him, Philip Pfeifer was tough. He throws hard from the left side with a late break curveball. Left handed hitters are usually not a fan of those pitchers.


Last question, favorite player and favorite team?


My dad is from Cleveland, Ohio. Ergo, I am a Cleveland Indian fan. I love the way Pete Rose played the game, and I enjoy watching Joe Mauer hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment