Prospectwire.com
Special Assignment Scout
Sully@prospectwire.com

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Top Prospect Interview: Spenser Linney



Interview with top prospect Spenser Linney. Linney recently committed to Stanford and will be playing in the Under Armour All-American Game at Wrigley Field.



Sullivan: Congrats on committing to Stanford. What drew you to this school and what other schools did you consider?

Linney: I had the honor of having a good number of great opportunities, and I was a bit biased towards playing in the Pac-10 since I have grown up on the west coast. In the end Stanford ended up just being the best overall fit for me, and the opportunity to play relatively close to home was also a great added bonus. I'm also really excited about the direction that the program is heading in. I think we're going to have a really tough team.





What are your goals for your senior season?

I want to continue working every day to improve my game and work with my teammates to better our team. We want to win an NCS championship, and I think we're all going to work to get there. I really want to start lifting and conditioning rigorously to put myself into an optimal physical condition for next season, summer, and beyond.





You were recently named to the Under Armour All-American Game. Describe how that feels and did you ever see yourself pitching on such a big stage?

It's a really big honor and I am really looking forward to the opportunity to play at Wrigley Field in that type of environment. It's going to be really fun getting to know everyone and then competing with and against them. I think that entire event is going to be a blast.






What pitches do you throw? How fast?

I throw a fastball, changeup, curveball. Over the course of the summer my fastball was between 88-91 MPH, and I touched 93 MPH a couple of times. My change is typically high 70s to low 80s, and my curve is usually low 70s.




Who is the best hitter you have ever faced?

Over the summer I've gotten to face some great competition between Connie Mack competition and the Area Code tryouts so far. Of the names that I can remember, Tyler Goeddel, another player from northern California jumps to mind. I also remember Mitch Delfino (currently playing at Cal) was also a great hitter when I faced him in high school.





Last question. Favorite player and favorite team.


My favorite two players are Cole Hamels and Barry Zito, and my favorite team is the Oakland A's. I've been an A's fan for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment